Treatments for Ptosis in Singapore : Our eyes are one of the most important parts of our body. Other parts of the body will be having difficulty in operating if something is blocking the eye. One condition that affects our sense of sight is Ptosis. It is a medical condition where the upper eyelid is drooping. Want to know more about ptosis? Continue reading the article.
Facts about Ptosis
Ptosis is a medical condition where the upper eyelid is drooping. It obstructs the pupil which reduces your vision. You may think that this condition can only be acquired by old age people, well, think again. It can occur at any age, even with a newborn child and it comes with different degrees of severity. If one eye is affected it is called unilateral ptosis and bilateral ptosis if both eyes. This condition can be resolved naturally or it can be permanent which surgery is needed to correct it.
The LookBook posted their findings from research and found out that ptosis in Singapore occurs mostly due to the natural ageing process, rubbing the eye extremely, or different medical problems. Your doctor will be the one to help you to determine the cause of your ptosis, severity, and of course, help you solve the issue.
Here is a list of some risk factors that can cause ptosis:
- Medical Conditions : a nerve injury or an inflamed swelling on the edge of the eyelid (sty) can cause ptosis. Cataract surgery and diabetes can also be the reason for having ptosis.
- Serious Conditions : stroke, cancer, and eye tumour is one of the many serious conditions that can lead to ptosis. As well as neurological disorders that affect the nerves or muscles that stopped functioning.
3 Degrees of Ptosis
Before undergoing the ptosis surgery, the doctor needs to identify first the severity of ptosis. The doctor will measure the lid opening and it must have a Marginal Reflex Distance (MRD) of less than 2mm. MRD refers to the distance between the pupil and the eyelid. Here are the 3 degrees of Ptosis:
- Mild Ptosis- 2mm droop
- Moderate ptosis- 3mm droop
- Severe ptosis- 4mm or more droop
How is ptosis treated?
There are different surgical techniques for ptosis in Singapore. The treatment depends on what degree of ptosis you have. Only the doctor can tell if your ptosis needed surgery or the non-surgical option.
Here are the three main surgical methods:
- Suture Ptosis Eyelid Correction – this is recommended for patients with mild ptosis. To remove the obstruction from the vision, the eyelid tissue is stitched to its required height.
- Incisional Ptosis Eyelid Correction – an incision is made to create a crease or double eyelid. As crease is being formed, the obstruction in the eye is removed.
- Frontalis Suspension Technique – this type of technique is recommended for the severe cases of ptosis. Sutures are done to lift the drooping eyelid.
Is it painful?
Local anaesthesia is injected before starting the surgical procedure or before an incision is made. If you have a low tolerance for pain, sedation is an option.
How much does it cost?
Surgery costs for ptosis in Singapore costs around $5,000-$12,000. That is just an estimated cost, it mostly depends on the degree of ptosis and the surgical procedure made. Of course, you need also to consider the anaesthetists’ fee, medication, stitch removal, and operating facilities fee. In addition, surgery for ptosis in Singapore is considered a medical condition therefore it is covered your insurance.
The surgery takes about 30 mins – 1 hr. No need to be admitted to the hospital, just make sure you have someone to drive for you after the surgery. The recovery period takes 1-2 weeks, most people can go back to their everyday activities after a week. Bruising may be visible for about a week but it will continue to get better after 1-3 months.
For best result, follow these aftercare tips:
- To reduce swelling, apply a cold compress
- Do not rub the eyes
- On the second day, apply a warm compress to reduce swelling and bruising
- Make sure to take your antibiotics and complete the course.
Looking for the best Surgeon
Ask recommendations from doctors. They can recommend the best surgeons with good track records. You can also get information as to where you can get the best surgeon from people who were able to undergo surgery. They are the living proof of the surgeon’s craft. Request for the before and after photos of the surgeon’s work. You can evaluate their skills by looking at their work.
The LookBook emphasizes that it is important to choose the best surgeon because there is a possibility that the surgery can go wrong. It can be either a surgical technique is a poor or incorrect procedure done due to the wrong diagnosis of the cause of ptosis. So, make sure you choose a surgeon that specializes in ptosis surgery.
Either it is a medical condition or for cosmetic purposes, you should take Ptosis seriously. It can be harmful for that reason that it blocks your vision. If you noticed that your eyes are droopy or your kid’s eyes are droopy, consult a doctor right away to stop it from getting worse.
Related Videos about Treatments for Ptosis in Singapore :
What is ptosis and how can you treat it?
How Can Ptosis Be Treated?
The Surgical Treatment of Eyelid Ptosis
How to Reduce Eyelid Drooping From Botox
Treatments for Ptosis in Singapore
ptosis singapore forum, ptosis insurance, non incisional ptosis correction singapore, ptosis surgery, ptosis surgery cost, drooping eyelid surgery cost, ptosis surgery singapore medisave, ptosis surgery korea,