How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast and Effectively : Onychomycosis, also known as nail fungus, is a very common problem characterized by crumbling, thickening, and yellowing of the nails. It may also result in pain, swelling, and inflammation of the infected toe. This condition can be caused by wearing synthetic socks, abnormal pH level of the skin, suppressed immune system, excessive sweating, poor circulation, or poor hygiene.
Toenail fungus can be treated with oral antifungal medicine, topical treatments, and for severe cases, nail removal. Side effects of oral medications may include rashes, headaches, nausea, liver damage, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, weight gain, and fever. This is why many people with fungal nail infection opt for topical medications even if it takes five months to a year before the infection clears up.
Herbal and home remedies do the same jobs without side effects, assuming that you do not have sensitive or allergies to them.
In addition to your foot cream, here are some effective ways on How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast.
1. Dietary Changes
In order to get rid of toenail fungus fast, you will need to make some changes in your diet. Because Candida albicans, a type of yeast, grow inside our bodies, certain foods can cause them to overgrow. This leads to fungal nail and skin infections. The yeast overgrowth may develop due to low immune system, poor digestion, antibiotic use, stress, hormonal changes, and high grain and sugar diet. These factors create an acidic environment that allows yeast to flourish.
The first thing that you must do is to eliminate the source of fungus and yeast. Avoid or eliminate conventional grain products and sugar in your diet. Instead, consume more foods that promote the growth of good bacteria, such as probiotic foods and fermented vegetables.
2. Vicks VapoRub
Vicks VapoRub contains eucalyptus oil, menthol and camphor. It has been shown that these can prevent the growth of fungus. Follow these steps to use Vicks VapoRub for treating fungal nail infection.
- Trim the infected toenail. After cutting your nail, wash your nail clipper with hot water and soap immediately.
- Wash your feet and dry thoroughly. Scoop Vicks out of the container using a spoon.
- Use a cotton bud to apply Vicks VapoRub to the affected nail. You do not want to apply Vicks to your toenail and put your finger back into the container as it will spread the fungus.
- Cover the nail with Vicks completely and cover your toe with a bandage. You may also wear a sock to help Vicks penetrate the nail and skin.5. Follow this treatment twice a day.
3. Listerine Mouthwash
Listerine mouthwash kills germs and bacteria in the mouth effectively. This means that it can also help in treating toenail fungus. It contains several compounds and strong antiseptic properties that can inhibit the growth of fungi and harmful bacteria.
- Fill a foot basin with Listerine mouthwash. Another option is to mix equal amounts of white vinegar and Listerine.
- Soak your foot in this solution for thirty minutes.
- Scrub the toenail gently with a soft toothbrush.
- Rinse it off and dry the area thoroughly.
- Follow this remedy twice daily to clear the infection fast.
4. Oregano Oil
Daily application of oregano oil is one of the best ways to kill toenail fungus fast. It contains antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, antiparasitic and antifungal properties, making it efficient in treating fungal nail infections.
- Combine 2 drops of oregano oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on your toenail.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water. Dry your feet thoroughly.
- Follow this treatment twice daily for best results.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains antifungal and antiseptic properties that can help you treat toenail fungus quickly. This oil is also used for treating various types of skin infections, such as eczema and athlete’s foot.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with one teaspoon of any carrier oil.
- Apply the mixture on the infected toenail using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for ten minutes before scrubbing the area with a soft toothbrush.
- Repeat this natural treatment three times a day until the infection is gone.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda has fungistatic properties that can inhibit the spreading and growth of the fungus. It creates an alkaline environment on the area and balances the pH level of the skin.
- Mix two parts of baking soda with one part water to make a thick paste.
- After washing and drying the infected toenail, use cotton to apply the paste.
- Let it sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse if off with water and dry thoroughly.
- Follow this treatment twice per day to remove the fungus.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective remedy to kill toenail fungus fast is by using apple cider vinegar. It contains acidic properties that can kill fungi and harmful bacteria.
- In a foot basin, mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak your foot in the solution for 30 minutes.
- Dry the area thoroughly.
- Follow this remedy once a day to get rid of the infection.
Additional Tips How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast
Here are some useful ideas that you can implement to speed up the healing process of your toenail.
- Wear breathable socks. Wearing shoes without socks allows moisture to remain in the area. This increases your risk of toenail fungus, athlete’s foot and other infections.
- Keep your feet dry. After washing, dry your feet immediately. If wearing socks is not enough to keep your feet dry, consider using some facial tissues and change them frequently.
- Alternate your shoes. Your footwear contributes to the growth of fungal infection. Make sure that you do not use the same shoes two days in a row. Allow your shoes to dry first before using them.
- Be more active. Being active increases your blood circulation. This is important especially for your lower extremities.
- Get enough sleep. When you are tired, you start eating foods that may not be healthy, such as sugar and grains. Get 6 to 7 hours of sleep to lessen cravings.
Amanda Roberts is a professional blogger and a podiatry student. She is an enthusiast who loves to write on several niches, particularly in foot health, including plantar fasciitis, toenail fungus, foot massage and reflexology. You can follow her on Facebook.
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast and Naturally | Natural Cures
how to get rid of toenail fungus fast and naturally – get rid of toenail fungus at home
Toenail Fungus Treatment – A Fast Cure For Toenail Fungus You Must Try
How To Treat Toenail Fungus With VICKS VAPORUB
How I Got Rid Of Toenail Fungus with BLEACH Fast!!
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus At Home | Natural remedies for toenail fungus
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast and Effectively
toe fungus picture, how to get rid of toenail fungus with bleach, vicks vaporub toenail fungus, how to get rid of fingernail fungus, How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast, toenail fungus medicine, nail fungus treatment over the counter, what causes toenail fungus, how do you get rid of toenail fungus?, How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast