Do Teenager Girls need to Visit an OB/GYN : OB/GYNs are medical professionals who take care of women’s reproductive health. They help with issues such as infertility, infections, pregnancy, and contraception, among others. But at what age should women start visiting OB/GYNs? By all means, teenage girls should be encouraged to visit OB/GYN Patricia Nevils.
In any case, going to see a gynecologist means that they are taking responsibility for their body to another level. Of course, it can be stressful for young girls to visit an OB/GYN. However, learning more can go a long way in helping them understand what to expect. Below are some common questions that teenage girls have before visiting an OB/GYN’s office for the first time.
Why do I need to see an OB/GYN?
By visiting a gynecologist, there are a number of benefits that young girls can expect. Some of the benefits include:
- An OB/GYN can help teenage girls understand their bodies so they can take care of themselves properly.
- Visiting an OB/GYN can help a teenage girl and her doctor understand what is normal so that any negative changes can become easy to identify.
- Visiting a gynecologist on a regular basis can help in ensuring that any problems are detected and treated early.
- An OB/GYN can help a teenage girl understand what normal discharge looks like and what vaginal discharge should indicate that there is a problem.
- An OB/GYN can teach young girls how to protect themselves in case they have sex.
- An OB/GYN can answer any questions teenage girls may be having with regards to the changes that are happening in their bodies.
When Should I Visit an OB/GYN?
According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, teenage girls should start visiting a gynecologist at the age of 13. If you have not see an OB/GYN by the age of 15, you should see one if:
- You have had intimate sexual contact.
- It has been three or more months since you had your last period.
- You have heavy and painful periods.
- You have not received your periods by the age of 15.
- You have irregular periods.
- You have a fever, stomach pain, and gray, yellow, or green vaginal discharge with a strong smell.
What Happens During the Visit?
During your first OB/GYN visit, much of the time will be spent talking. Your doctor may ask several questions to determine if you are at risk of any illness. You can also take that opportunity to ask any questions you may have, no matter how embarrassing it may be. Your doctor is a professional and he/she is not going to judge you. An OB/GYN will only be interested in the medical aspects of your reproductive system.
Overall, it is apparent that the services of an OB/GYN are essential for women of any age, including teenagers. Gynecologists can help young girls to understand their bodies well and have reliable information on how they can take care of themselves. If you are looking for a reliable women’s healthcare facility, Vibrant Woman Health Center is your best bet. Contact them today for more information about young women’s reproductive health.
Related Videos about Do Teenager Girls need to Visit an OB/GYN :
What to expect at your first OB/GYN visit
Your Daughter’s First Gynecology Visit | What to Expect
Teen First Visit to Gynecologist
First Gyn Visit: A Guide for Teens
When Should Your Teens See a Gynecologist?
Related Infographics about Do Teenager Girls need to Visit an OB/GYN :
Do Teenager Girls need to Visit an OB/GYN
when should you see a gynecologist for the first time, do you have to go to a gynecologist, how old do you have to be to go to the gynecologist without a parent, should i shave before going to the gynecologist, reasons to see a gynecologist, how long does it take to get a gynecologist appointment, reasons not to go to the gynecologist, what happens at a gynecologist appointment,